Sunday 10 November 2013

Banning touching at school and why I think it is wrong.

Here are a few links that illustrate the concern of many people, just check the bottom of the entry for them.  I look at this as anti-bullying going way too far.  I also see this as people lacking any common sense.  So, someone gets hurt on a school playground, and an overprotective parent cries to the school?  I may not be a parent, but give me a break.  This rule goes way too far.  I first heard this rule on the radio while I was at work and was hearing that many schools in my area were thinking of enforcing the same policy. 

I'm not sure how to explain my opinion in a very clear way.  But I will give a three clear reasons why I think it is wrong.

1. You are taking away the freedom to play and have fun.  Kids are naturally hands on and try and learn to play through socializing and hands on type of environment.  Sure there might be some kids that like to fight.  The kids that are excessive in their hands on approach are usually reprimanded for it.  Teachers when I was growing up would allow touching.  So my guess is that kids won't even be allowed to play "Duck, Duck, Goose." 

2. Common sense can be learned early.  Enforcing such a rule will not allow a child to know right and wrong pretty early on.  Such a rule will likely be hard for a kid to guage whether he or she can do it off the playground and at home as well under parent supervision even.  Children are being taught to behave in certain ways by parents at home and by teachers at school.  Behavioral conditioning based on common sense can be thrown out the window with such a rule.

3. Kids may not learn their lesson from doing something that gets them hurt.  It's one thing to be strict, but to be overly strict without any bounds is ridiculous.  I realize the school that implemented the policy thinks it will reduce injuries and they are probably right.  But now kids will be far more afraid of doing something that they might get hurt by doing.  Sometimes a lesson can be learned by doing something that you get hurt by doing.  Kids tend to avoid playing around another kid that will hurt them because they fear it will happen again.  As a result, the kid that hurts others may end up learning "Nobody wants to play with me because I hurt them.  I will play nicer now."  With such a rule, the chances of anyone learning this lesson are slim.

Another thing about this is that it is strictly pointed towards kindergarten students.  Kindergarten is meant to be fun for students.  What happens when there is no fun?  Will the children feel as if they don't want to go to school anymore at that age?

http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stories/11052013-hands-off-schools-zero-tolerance-policy-bans-touching/

http://www.wondercafe.ca/discussion/parenting/ban-children-touching-other-children

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-schools-no-hand-holding-rule-goes-too-far-parents-say/article15289870/

No comments:

Post a Comment